From: Frank Schafer <frank.schafer@×××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: bash details
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:40:18
1 Hi,
2
3 Gooooooooooogle "Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide" >>>
4 <www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/>
5
6 Regards
7 Frank
8
9 On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 14:25 +0000, James wrote:
10 > Hello,
11 >
12 > I cannot seem to find detailed document/manual on using bash robustly
13 > in a programming environment. Maybe I need to purchase a good book?
14 > Mostly I'm an old csh hack. I like bash, but it seems porting over C code
15 > from a csh (or embedded) to a bash environment gives me trouble that is mostly
16 > due to my lack of in-depth knowledge of bash. Simple things like paths
17 > to libraries and other software modules inside of the ported code I
18 > either screw up or it seems like I solve the problems differently each
19 > time.
20 >
21 > Often the code I'm porting was not written for any type of unix
22 > or pre-emptible kernel, so I have features and functions that are
23 > instantiated in assembler or ansi C, that I have to figure out
24 > if there is a library I can use (acceptable similarity) or if
25 > I need to port the native micro code to a linux module or library.
26 > I seem to get these things to eventually work, but, well, I feel stupid
27 > and inept, as I should not be having the difficulty with these
28 > efforts that I am experiencing. Productivity must increase, and the
29 > only thing I can figure out, is I need to read and learn from a document
30 > or somebody that has figured out more 'rote methodologies' that I do
31 > not posess (if this sounds confusing, it's because I frustrated
32 > and not sure what I'm missing or deficient in).
33 >
34 > Any suggestions and examples where I may read and look at examples
35 > or a suitable forum to ask questions would be appreciated. Bash trickery
36 > is definately a weak point for me, but, that may not be my only
37 > area where I need to improve my knowledge and skills, related to
38 > software porting and development. Most of my code does involve hardware
39 > and or device drivers. Things like embeding code into the
40 > kernel or a module, thus avoiding bash all together with the 'driver'
41 > portion of the (hardware) code, and then making the other part of the
42 > code user accessible, via a shell. Some robust, detailed examples
43 > would be keen. I'm sufficient at getting chips and device drivers
44 > working in a micro environment, it's making these hardware and software
45 > items accessible via the (linux) shell environment where I struggle the most.
49 > James
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list