From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:01:06
1 Just getting around to reading this 59 post. Thread. Interesting. Thanks!
2
3 On 12/18/06, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:54:06 -0800, Grant wrote:
5 >
6 > > I'm thinking this over a bit more, and it seems like the best thing
7 > > for Gentoo (or any distro) is a lot of users. More users must mean
8 > > more active developers, and more active developers must mean an
9 > > increased rate of growth for the software.
10 >
11 > "must mean"? Why? The only thing more users must mean is more users. If
12 > you maintain the proportion of users-who-would-become-devs to
13 > always-users your point may have some validity, but the ratio always
14 > drops when a distro becomes popular. More users often means more work for
15 > the same number of devs, it can be counter-productive.
16
17 This is very true.
20 > > I believe the great benefit of Gentoo is its flexibility, and
21 > > flexibility is like a meta-benefit because it makes possible any other
22 > > benefit. What do you think makes Ubuntu the distro of the moment? Is
23 > > it ease-of-use? If Gentoo focused more on ease-of-use aspects of the
24 > > Ubuntu variety, they would attract more users and thereby increase the
25 > > rate of growth for the software.
26 >
27 > Do we really need yet another easy to use distro? There are already more
28 > than enough of those. Gentoo is for those who want maximum control over
29 > their systems and are prepared to make the effort to achieve this. This
30 > is for a different type of user. Turn Gentoo into yet another easy-to-use
31 > distro and those people lose while those wanting ease of use gain very
32 > little.
33
34 I agree again. The ONLY problem I'm having with Gentoo is the devs
35 removing older revs of things from portage. (ati-drivers, MythTV,
36 etc.)
37
38 My older, somewhat specialized MYthTV frontends are boxes that
39 require specific kernel+ati-drivers combos to get SVideo to work. I've
40 found that when I need to upgrade these I find that the version of
41 ati-drivers that I'm currently using is no longer in portage. I lost
42 SVideo output on both my boxes for this reason and had to switch to
43 composite vidio. Bummer.
44
45 On those machines I'm seemingly forced to use ati-drivers because the
46 xorg ATI drivers only support VGA output on my ATI9200/Pundit-R
47 machines.
50 > I really don't care if Gentoo is considered a minority distro, it is not,
51 > and hopefully never will be, a mass market product.
52
53 I'd prefer it did not. I still love Gentoo. It's easily the most
54 stable distro I've ever run. (RH & Suse here.) The support from the
55 devs has been second to none.
56
57 - Mark
61 > --
62 > Neil Bothwick
63 >
64 > When you finally buy enough memory, you will not have enough disk space.
65 > -- Murphy's Computer Laws n°3
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list