From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 23:48:53
1 On 07/12/17 22:35, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 >> (Oh - and md raid-5/6 also mix data and parity, so the same holds true
3 >> > there.)
4
5 > Ok, wasn’t aware of that. I thought I read in a ZFS article that this were a
6 > special thing.
7
8 Say you've got a four-drive raid-6, it'll be something like
9
10 data1 data2 parity1 parity2
11 data3 parity3 parity4 data4
12 parity5 parity6 data5 data6
13
14 The only thing to watch out for (and zfs is likely the same) if a file
15 fits inside a single chunk it will be recoverable from a single drive.
16 And I think chunks can be anything up to 64MB.
17
18 Cheers,
19 Wol