From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Top values don't add up
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 13:30:14
1 Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
2 > << SNIP >>
3 >
4 > I'm running the machine for multi-media-use, and I would like to make
5 > sure that I tune the media-programs to leave sufficcient cpu to handle
6 > the odd house-keeping task, while at the same time doing as much
7 > post-processing for image and sound quality as possible. Is there a
8 > way to get top to make sense, or are there other tools you good people
9 > would recommend ?
14 The only thing I can think of that may help is to use the nice command
15 to give some processes more or less priority. That may or may not help
16 you any but it is a thought.
17
18 Otherwise, I tend to agree with Alan. Leave it to the kernel.
19
20 Dale
21