From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypted Backups
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:56:57
1 On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 14:03 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Hi list!
3 >
4 > I'm in need of a backup tool and an advice would be helpful because I
5 > need some special functionality.
6 >
7 > I want to make backups from my laptop to a cardreader (pcmcia), making
8 > daily full and hourly incremental backups *if the card is plugged in*
9 > (which might not be the case for as long as two days).
10 >
11 > Additionally I need some kind of encryption. The key could reside on my
12 > home partition which is encrypted itself and maybe pam-mount + luks is a
13 > solution but I'd like to hear some opinions on that topic.
14 >
15 > If no one comes up with a better solution, I think two cronjobs with
16 > tar, gpg and find will do it, don't you think? The alternative would be
17 > rdiff-backup with some kind of encrypted and possibly compressed file
18 > system.
19
20 I do pretty much the same on my laptop. I use good ol' tar and pipe it
21 through GPG. I don't do incrementals though, so that might be more a
22 pain, then again maybe not if your index file is left plaintext.
23
24 -a
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list