From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: load too high
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:47:38
1 On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 17:29 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick writes:
3 >
4 > > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:14:22 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
5 > > > > The cruelty is actually worse: the machines that will benefit most
6 > > > > from an OOo compile from source, are those old, low memory, asthmatic
7 > > > > boxen, that take two days to complete the emerge! I am tempted to
8 > > > > start cross-compiling.
9 > > >
10 > > > I've often used distcc between amd64 and x86 machines, for example, and
11 > > > had no problems (except that not enough is "farmed out").
12 >
13 > Uh, really? I thought I had to setup cross compiling for that. Cool, I can
14 > skip that then. You just saved me a lot of trouble, thanks.
15
16 ahhh (penny drops). The cake is a lie! I remember now I used P4 and P3
17 before. I haven't actually done it with my amd 64bit, which is running
18 x86 anyway.
19
20 sorry for the stuffup. However you may be interested in
21 http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_AMD64-x86-distcc and I'm sure there are more!
22
23 cya,
27 Fortune's Real-Life Courtroom Quote #19:
28
29 Q: Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on dead people?
30 A: All my autopsies have been performed on dead people.
33 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list