From: Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Weird graphical glitches after world update
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 12:19:16
1 On 21/11/13 20:48, walt wrote:
2 > On 11/21/2013 07:10 AM, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
3 >> I spent a chunk of yesterday updating world on my machines (2 file
4 >> servers and 1 netbook) and with some effort, the updates went through. I
5 >> had to go out today so I rebooted my netbook and I started noticing
6 >> weird graphical glitches in certain applications, as if parts of the
7 >> screen weren't updating,
8 >
9 > Sounds like a video driver problem. Are you using one of the proprietary
10 > video drivers (ati-drivers, nvidia-drivers, etc)?
11 >
12 > If yes, you could try:
13 >
14 > #eselect opengl list
15 > Available OpenGL implementations:
16 > [1] ati *
17 > [2] xorg-x11
18 >
19 > My ati-drivers need the proprietary version of opengl and sometimes this
20 > setting is wrong after updating the opensource mesa package.
21 >
22 > Otherwise I'd just try re-emerging your video drivers as an experiment :)
26 I have an intel 965GM and eselect opengl list only gives me xorg-x11.
29 I dug around a fair bit last night and found [1] which brought to my
30 attention that modesetting was not set up properly. Few kernel
31 compilations later, and my modesetting module now loads fine. While it
32 didn't make the issue go away for urxvt, my emacs is now usable again.
33 Woohoo, I can do things again! There's always eshell and ansi-term which
34 I can run in emacs so the crisis is at least somewhat averted while I
35 figure out a solution. I thought I'd share the link for all other
36 victims in hopes that it will help them.
37
38 Sorry all for late reply but I was shifting my e-mail around and didn't
39 notice the responses!
40
41 [1]: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-949946-start-0.html
44 Mateusz K.