From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] LiveCDs for Uni students
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 01:01:56
1 Am 08.03.2014 01:54, schrieb Andrew Lowe:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I'm doing some research on the topic of LiveCD's and was after any
4 > input the list may have.
5 >
6 > I'm a tutor at a Uni in Australia teaching, amongst others, 1st
7 > year Engineering students. We teach them C. Last year we had a lab set
8 > up and as well, they could ssh into a Linux box from home so that they
9 > could do assignments. Now due to a bureaucratic change ssh access is
10 > now gone.
11 >
12 > I would guess that there would be under 1% Linux penetration with
13 > respect to home computers and I've tried, in the past, to help
14 > students set up a dev environment on Macs - a horrid experience, and
15 > lets not even mention trying to easily set up Win* with a dev environemt
16 >
17 > I'm looking for a lightweight LiveCD that includes a graphical
18 > environment and gcc/clang so that we can make it available on our
19 > internal network for the students to download/burn and use at home.
20 > Does anyone have any ideas/experience in something like this? I've
21 > looked at Lubuntu but it lacks gcc.
22 >
23 > Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
24 >
25 > Andrew
28 systemrescuecd?