From: Novensiles divi Flamen <noven@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xgl and direct rendering or 'Would you like Xorg or Xgl, sir?'
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 00:13:45
1 On Friday 19 January 2007 09:17, Jan Stępień wrote:
2 > >
3 > > Or you can start a second X with xinit. So you would have one
4 > > desktop (on F7)
5 > > with Xgl and one (F8) with 'normal' X.
6 >
7 > This method sounds interesting, but I have some doubts. Won't two
8 > separate X servers be too big challenge for my box? I've got an Athlon
9 > XP 3000+ (working at 2167 MHz) plus a GB of RAM. Having Xgl loaded in
10 > the background could be deadly for performance in OpenGL apps on Xorg.
11 > Please correct me if I'm wrong.
12 >
13 I use a script called xlaunch:
14
15 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-483004-highlight-xlaunch.html
16
17 I run it on my laptop and have absolutely no problems, the xserver alone won't
18 kill your performance.
19
20 - Noven
21 --