From: "mike@×××××××.us" <mike@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub vs grub 2
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 20:44:16
1 On 02/14/2012 02:29 PM, Andrea Conti wrote:
2 > Re grub2: as long as grub0 works, I really don't care if grub2 is
3 > better, cleaner, shinier, more modern or anything else.
4 >
5 > I don't need a freakin' whole OS to boot linux, and having a
6 > configuration that is so convoluted that it *has to* be generated by
7 > running a set of scripts makes no sense at all. I thought the days of m4
8 > and sendmail.cf were over a long time ago...
9
10 Well, it's a good thing that GRUB 2 is just a bootloader, then. :-)
11 And again, nobody needs the tools to configure it; they are simply
12 standardized from what various distributions developed for GRUB Legacy,
13 but was incompatible from one distribution to the next.
14
15 > I am sure grub2 can be made to work, but for a piece of software as
16 > vital as a boot loader, that level of complexity in my opinion is
17 > totally unreasonable and impossible to justify.
18
19 How about "It Just Works". Seriously.
20
21 It is a better designed system with most of its functionality pushed
22 into modules. It is portable to more than just x86, as I've already
23 mentioned before, and during _that_ whole process, the quality of the
24 code increased significantly. It is more robust, and from the POV of a
25 user, maintainer, or packager it is *much* simpler.
26
27 When supporting GRUB Legacy, it's almost a necessity to know which
28 distribution the user installed it with. Why? Because all of them are
29 different! That is no longer the case with GRUB 2.
30
31 I'm not sure how that translates to being more complex. If you are
32 averse to change, just say so and be done with it. Is it different?
33 Oh, yes, absolutely. It couldn't be better if it were the same, could
34 it? ;-)
35
36 --- Mike
39 A man who reasons deliberately, manages it better after studying Logic
40 than he could before, if he is sincere about it and has common sense.
41 --- Carveth Read, “Logic”