From: "Nelson
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Bad sound card drivers?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:13:02
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Grant [mailto:emailgrant@×××××.com]
3 > Sent: 15 March 2007 01:58
4 > To: Gentoo mailing list
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] Bad sound card drivers?
8 > I recently switched laptops and although the new one is faster, the
9 > sound is much worse. lspci reports the sound card this way:
10 >
11 > ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device (rev 02)
12 >
13 > The problem is I need to use a sip phone (sjphone) and I can barely
14 > make out what the other person is saying. Is there any way I can try
15 > to improve the sound quality/performance? I am using the in-kernel
16 > alsa drivers. Is it worth a try to emerge the ones in portage instead
17 > or is that unlikely to help?
18 >
19 > - Grant
20
21 You may wish to try the non-kernel alsa drivers. I have an Intel HDA soundcard in my laptop and the sound was poor and quiet when using the kernel modules but much better when using the alsa drivers in portage.
22
23 I believe it has been suggested before that the seperate alsa modules may be more up to date. Can't hurt to give them a try I guess.
27 djn
28
29 I do not represent anyone else in emails I send to this list.
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list