From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update gentoo from live usb?
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 13:54:31
1 On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 02:24:32 -0600, Michael Jones wrote:
2
3 > I strongly recommend against overwriting your system with a stage3. Any
4 > package that has a changed list of files will leave orphans behind. And
5 > finding them all will be pretty dang hard.
6
7 You can find orphan files with qfile, details are in the man page, but I
8 agree with you that it is not to be recommended.
9
10 Of course, creating difficulty with future updates is only one of the
11 risks of not updating - running with unfixed bugs and security
12 vulnerabilites are also good reasons to not do this.
13
14 I'd say you should update at least every three months, and keep an eye on
15 the output from glsa-check to make sure you are not unnecessarily
16 vulnerable.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 He's so cool, he could get frostbite from masturbating.