From: "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] automatic network connection between eth and wifi
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 00:20:38
1 On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 6:59 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've noticed that on the newer distribution (binary, xubuntu fedora) the
3 > network connection is automatic whenever someone connects the cable or if
4 > cable is disconnected it switches to wife.
5 > Is it the function of the new "systemd" or it is a new program?
6 >
7 > I'm still using "rc"
8 >
9 > --
10 > Joseph
13 NetworkManager is likely the backend that's handling that for those
14 particular distros, unless networkd got a massive overhaul since I
15 last saw anything on it. I recall wicd filled that role seamlessly
16 enough last I used it as well, but it's fallen a bit by the wayside.
17 Even the basic init-script/openrc configured networking is capable of
18 the job with the right settings, though. If I recall, sys-apps/netplug
19 or sys-apps/ifplugd will provide 'hotplug' style configuration on
20 dis/reconnect of a wire, and grouping that with 'disable/enable wifi'
21 calls when the wired interface goes up/down will make it behave that
22 way.
23
24 From a quick search, this page should give more details on the
25 slightly less auto-magic approach:
26 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC_notebook_roaming_How-To
29 Poison [BLX]
30 Joshua M. Murphy