From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Router/Firewall strangeness
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:40:06
1 On Thursday 13 December 2007, Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 09:50:58 -0500
3 >
4 > Billy Holmes <billy@××××××.net> wrote:
5 > > also look for entries where is says eth0 has entered promiscuous
6 > > mode
7 > > - that's a sure fire sign you've been hacked.. unless you're running
8 > > a virtual machine with a bridge, or your own packet sniffer/traffic
9 > > monitor - like ntop.
10 >
11 > I have several machines that give that message, but I don't believe
12 > they've been hacked. Insight?
13
14 Well, certain apps will put your interface into a promiscuous mode if they are
15 trying to listen to the traffic arriving at it; e.g. tcpdump, ntop,
16 wireshark, etc.
17 --
18 Regards,
19 Mick