From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New laptop - AMD or Intel?
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 18:54:12
1 On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 2:28 PM Manuel McLure <manuel@××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 11:09 AM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On 2020-03-09, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> > Would that be the consensus of the group here?
8 >
9 > My understanding is that AMD is currently leading both in raw performance as well as bang-for-buck.
12 That is generally my understanding as well, at least for
13 desktop/server situations when you're buying parts.
14
15 For a laptop you really have to look at the whole package. Raw CPU
16 perf-per-dollar is often not the biggest concern with a laptop. As
17 long as it meets your performance specs you're mostly going to be
18 worried about form, battery, and so on. So, I really wouldn't obsess
19 over AMD vs Intel.
20
21 I have been buying all AMD lately for my regular hosts and do my own
22 builds. My only recent laptop is a combo form that runs Intel,
23 because it was the form I wanted (Acer Switch running Win10 and a
24 bunch of Win-specific software). You're probably going to find more
25 Intel options in this space in any case.
28 Rich