From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: hotplug doesn't.
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 14:51:23
1 Iain Buchanan <iaindb <at> netspace.net.au> writes:
4 > hotplug doesn't hotplug! At least for my 1394 video camera. If I plug
5 > the camera in at boot, kino can see it and capture from it (and control
6 > the AVC), but if I plug it in after boot, kino can't even see it.
7
8 > I've tried removing and re-adding the module, I tail the logs, I even
9 > turned on some debugging for ieee1394.agent, but I basically see
10 > nothing!
11
12 > I tried googling, but the terms are so generic, I can't find anything
13 > useful.
14
15 > Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would appreciate any
16 > comments, thanks.
17
18 Hello Iain,
19
20 I've recently discovered these 2 little jewels. They may not help, but
21 it's worth a whirl.
22
23 # udevstart [after you boot and then connect the device to 1394]
24
25 # udevinfo -q all -d | grep <camera>
26
27 Also devices(/dev/) can be tarred up and auto read upon reboot,
28 even if the hardware is not present by adding this to your
29 /etc/conf.d/rc file:
30
31 #RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no"
32 RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes
33
34 This method does not allow udev to discover new devices
35 upon reboot. I have not delved into this mechanism deeper, but, it
36 would seem logical that once the device is seen by udev, then you
37 could tar up these devices and have them added to /dev/ and find
38 a way to let udev do it's 'auto-discover' upon reboot. Sort of a hybrid
39 method using both udev's auto-discovery mechanism and
40 manually providing a list of hardware to the /dev/ dir.
41
42 My experiences with udev, are that it is still very much
43 'a work in progress'.... weak documentation and scant few
44 examples....
45
46 PS. I'm not even saying that udev is the culprit, but it's always
47 suspect with low level hardware, in the 2.6 kernel series....
50 ymmv,
51 hth,
52
53 James