From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE reboot not preserving running applications
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 17:06:56
1 On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 11:51:04 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 09:57:49 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Is anyone else having this problem?
4 >
5 > I can't answer for everyone, but I'm not.
6
7 I was sure I'd have heard all about it if anyone had been, but it was worth
8 asking anyway.
9
10 I would suspect hardware, but this is all I have to go on:
11 1. Smartd has been running regular tests on this NVMe disk and not
12 reported anything.
13 2. I've now changed the partition layout to ensure I was using new
14 silicon; I shrank the /boot partition from 2G to 0.5G, so all the other
15 partitions started 1.5G earlier on the disk.
16 3. During all the reloading from an external drive I found a suspect USB
17 port. I also noticed the UEFI startup process flickering the cursor around
18 the screen before displaying the list of kernels. I haven't used that USB
19 port since, and the flickering has subsided.
20 4. I can't imagine it's a memory failure because of the repeatability of
21 the problems.
22
23 So, things it isn't: memory, disk, power supply, software (identical USE
24 etc. to before the problem appeared) - anything that would cause random
25 errors.
26
27 The only other thing I can think of to do is to combine the first two
28 partitions into one: that is, the empty partition for the UEFI and the VFAT
29 /boot. You can see, though, that I'm reduced to clutching at straws.
30
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Peter.