From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PHP, Haru, Ghostscript, Courier, and Nimbus
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 12:28:03
1 On Monday, 7 November 2022 11:56:34 GMT Matthias Hanft wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > since many years, I'm using PHP (currently 7.4) and the (self-
5 > compiled) Haru extension to produce PDF invoices on my server.
6 >
7 > Internally, Haru seems to use Ghostscript, because:
8 >
9 > - up to app-text/ghostscript-gpl-9.55.0-r2, when you look at the
10 > PDF "properties" and then the "fonts" tab, there is "Courier",
11 > "Helvetica" and "Helvetica-BoldOblique" - just as requested in
12 > my PHP script like
13 > $myPdf=new HaruDoc();
14 > [...some page settings...]
15 > $myFont=$myPdf->getFont('Courier', 'WinAnsiEncoding');
16 >
17 > - from app-text/ghostscript-gpl-9.56.1-r3 on, everything looks like
18 > before, but in the "properties/fonts" tab of the resulting PDF,
19 > the fonts are now "NimbusMonoPS-Regular", "NimbusSands-BoldItalic"
20 > and "NimbusSans-Regular".
21 >
22 > I have already found this "translation" in the file
23 > /usr/share/ghostscript/9.56.1/Resource/Init/Fontmap.GS but there is
24 > obviously no relevant difference in that file between 9.55 and 9.56.
25 >
26 > Some of my customers now seem to have trouble if the fonts in the
27 > PDF properties are named "Nimbus" instead of "Courier" - they just
28 > see some hieroglyphics when displaying the PDF.
29 >
30 > Any idea that's going wrong here?
31 >
32 > Thanks in advance,
33 >
34 > -Matt
35
36 If your customers do not have Nimbus fonts available on their OS/PDF viewer,
37 the viewer application will proceed using font substitution. It will use
38 whichever font family it thinks is the closest match, I would assume
39 Helvetica. Their application appears to get confused and substitute the
40 Nimbus fonts with something else. In any case, the solution to this is to
41 embed the Nimbus fonts in the PDF file.