From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel upgrading and linux symlink
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 18:10:12
1 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> writes:
2
3 > The link is created only if you have the "symlink" USE flag enabled.
4 >
5 > Also, "Gentoo requires that the [...] symbolic link points to the
6 > sources of the kernel you are running" is not entirely correct. It is
7 > required only when you want to build something against that
8 > kernel.
9
10 > . . . . Obviously, you need to create the symlink if you want to build
11 > the newly installed kernel, even though the system is still running an
12 > older one.
13
14 Why is that obvious? That's what seemed confusing to me.
15
16 Nothing about creating it with USE=symlin, eselect, or by hand is a
17 problem. Or hard to follow, and I've always just done it by hand.