From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound not sounding
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 16:40:16
1 On 2022.03.24 05:55, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 24 March 2022 09:43:49 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >
4 > > I'm about to try pavu[...] as you suggested.
5 >
6 > No dice. All that does is to allow me to set where I want each sound
7 > source to
8 > be sent, plus a few details. I still hear nothing, and pavumeter
9 > shows nothing
10 > being output.
11 >
12 > I still can't escape the conclusion that something in my home
13 > directory is
14 > interfering with sound output.
15 Just to confirm - pavucontrol shows the sound device as properly
16 enabled on the Configuration tab, shows the correct output port for the
17 device on the Output Devices tab, and shows the sound source being sent
18 to the right device on the Playback tab (with volumes up) but still no
19 sound from the speakers? Do any of the sound meters show any apparent
20 activity? Can you see any difference between the pavucontrol display
21 as youurself and as the user for whom sound does work?
22
23 I would guess that if it is something in your home directory, it is
24 most likely a configuration setting, probably under .local or .config.
25 I see several files under ~/.config/pulse. You might try moving those
26 elsewhere and restarting pulse ("pulseaudio -k" then restart
27 pavucontrol) and comparing the before and after (if there is any change
28 in behavior) and possibly also comparing those files from your home dir
29 and those for the working user.
30
31 One other thing I might look for (I'm grasping at straws here, but also
32 under .local or .config) is anything related to device initialization,
33 perhaps USB settings.
34
35 Jack