From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] efibootmgr "Could not prepare Boot variable: Read-only file system"
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 18:36:52
1 On 15 August 2017 20:17:20 GMT+02:00, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
3 >wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I can't recall if I did this myself in a moment of security induced
6 >> inspiration. I doubt I did. So how did this happen? What is
7 >responsible for
8 >> mounting this fs?
11 >It looks like this never did turn into a news item:
12 >https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/35304b0db4de9e06fea322275379fa81
13 >
14 >You can remount it as rw if your tools don't do it automatically. It
15 >might not hurt to file a bug if one doesn't already exist for the tool
16 >that isn't remounting it.
17
18 I think mounting it as RO makes sense. Similarly to mounting /boot as RO.
19
20 Difference is, and this is why a newsitem would have been useful, /boot is in your fstab and you (should) know you set it to not automount and/or RO.
21
22 The efi mount is done automagically and any flags are usually not set by the user/admin.
23
24 At least I now know this to be the case when I end up updating the few machines I set up to boot directly using EFI without a bootloader.
27 Joost
28 --
29 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.