From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] howto update whole system and all applications
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:32:14
1 On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:43:51 +0200, pat wrote:
2
3 > Yes, it does, but the "world" doesn't contains all installed
4 > applications.
5
6 It contains all the applications you have explicitly installed, the rest
7 should be dependencies of these, so will be picked up by --emptytree. You
8 may have some orphaned dependencies lying around, which depclean will
9 pick up.
10
11 > I've tryed to --emptytree flag but still missing some installed
12 > applications :-(
13
14 You don't really need to rebuild the whole system. Rebuilding glibc will
15 take care of your changed locales, and --newuse will handle the changed
16 USE flags. I would do
17
18 emerge -av glibc
19 emerge -uavDN world
20 emerge -a depclean
21
22 Check the packages that depclean wants to remove. If there are any you
23 want to keep, add them to world with
24
25 emerge -n packagename
26
27 Let depclean remove the rest and your system should be up to date and
28 consistent with your settings. The only time you would need to use
29 --emptytree is if you have changed CFLAGS or LDFLAGS, in which case, you
30 should do it after carrying out the above steps.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 "Apple I" (c) Copyright 1767, Sir Isaac Newton.