From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] glibc builds but won't install
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:49:27
1 Hello all,
2
3 I have been having some problems getting glibc installed. It builds just fine,
4 but when it comes time to move the files into the live filesystem it craps
5 out with this error:
6
7 <snip>
8 >>> /usr/share/i18n/locales/oc_FR
9 >>> /usr/share/i18n/locales/nn_NO
10 !!! copy /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5/image/usr/share/i18n/locales/fr_BE@euro
11 -> /usr/share/i18n/locales/fr_BE@euro failed.
12 !!! [Errno 13] Permission denied
15 When I list the directory I get:
16
17 ls: fr_BE@euro: Permission denied
18 ls: tig_ER: Permission denied
19 ls: translit_combining: Permission denied
20 ls: wa_BE@euro: Permission denied
21 ls: wal_ET: Permission denied
22 ls: gez_ER@abegede: Permission denied
23 ls: fr_LU@euro: Permission denied
24 ls: translit_font: Permission denied
25 ls: translit_wide: Permission denied
26 ls: de_LU@euro: Permission denied
27 ls: fr_FR@euro: Permission denied
28 ls: br_FR@euro: Permission denied
29 ls: gez_ET@abegede: Permission denied
30 ls: translit_small: Permission denied
31
32 but the rest of the files are shown normally. I cannot delete these files
33 manually either...
34
35 So the question is, what are these files, why are the permissions screwed up,
36 and how do I fix this. The strange thing is I use locales.build which
37 contains only:
38
39 en_US/ISO-8859-1
40 en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8
41
42 Isn't locales.build supposed to get glibc to _not_ build any other locales?
43
44 uname -a:
45 Linux vyvyan 2.6.10-hardened-r3 #1 Fri Jan 28 11:17:17 PST 2005 i686 AMD
46 Duron(tm) processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
47
48 glibc version I am trying to build is 2.3.5
49
50 I do use grsecurity kernel, but no file ACL's or anything, so I don't
51 understand the Permission denied messages.
52
53 Any help is greatly appreciated. If I forgot to mention some important info
54 please just ask,
55
56 Thanks,
57 darren
58 --
59 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
60 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
61 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972