From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 01:13:00
1 On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 06/28/2012 05:19 PM, Alecks Gates wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> On 06/28/2012 03:41 PM, Dale wrote:
6 >>>> Paul Hartman wrote:
7 >>>>> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>>>> It appears that grub2 is coming soon.
9 >>>>> grub 2.00 has been released!
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
12 >>>
13 >>>>
14 >>>> I wasn't expecting it to be that soon.  I guess it will hit the tree
15 >>>> pretty soon then.  Well, we all need to think about the goods and bads
16 >>>> of upgrading or staying with the old.  I'm thinking about using the new
17 >>>> one pretty soon.  Heck, they ticked me off pretty bad with the /usr and
18 >>>> init thingy so I may as well jump off the cliff I was pushed up to.  :/
19 >>>>
20 >>>> 1/4 of the way down, all is good so far.  1/2 way down and all is good
21 >>>> so far.  3/4 way down and all is good so far.  I'm worried about that
22 >>>> sudden stop now.  O_O
23 >>>
24 >>> Well said :)
25 >>>
26 >>> I've heard a rumor that Windows doesn't like GUID partition tables, so
27 >>> I haven't yet installed grub2 on my one machine that still multiboots
28 >>> between operating systems.  (That's my one remaining machine with a
29 >>> legal install of Windows.)  I confess I'm not interested enough to
30 >>> confirm the rumor, so I continue to wait because there is no incentive
31 >>> for me to make the change.
32 >>>
33 >>>
34 >> I've never had a problem with Grub 2 + Windows (XP, Vista, 7, still
35 >> haven't had the will to sacrifice myself for 8).  Although sometimes
36 >> it seems, with all the complaining some linux users like to do about
37 >> new software, I must be a wee bit lucky.  Been using Grub 2 alpha/beta
38 >> for years with much success!  I've so far enjoyed the configuration
39 >> more than legacy Grub.
40 >
41 > Just to confirm, my reservations are not about Windows, but about GUID
42 > partitions.  Are you using GUID partition tables?
43 >
44 No, I'm not using GUID right now. But I don't believe this has
45 anything to do with Grub 2 itself and from what I can tell you don't
46 actually use GPT on your dual-boot machine anyway. Though that would
47 take away the main reason to upgrade. Doing a quick DDG search, I see
48 more positive than negative about Windows + GTP. I think we should
49 promote a greater sense of adventure.