From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 21:02:42
1 On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 2:50 PM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 > On 2012-03-10 16:35, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm using the latest testing with a separate /usr and no problems.
5 >
6 > So udev-181 (masked) is ok to use without initrd and separate /usr
7 > then? Thanks for the info!
8
9 That's one case; I would not take it for granted that it would work in
10 any other case. The fact is, udev upstream does not support a
11 separated /usr without an initramfs since . That Neil got it working
12 may be a fluke, good luck, the phase of the moon, or all from above
13 combined.
14
15 If you plan to keep a separated /usr and refuse to use an initramfs, I
16 would recommend sticking to the last version *you* know for sure it
17 works, or risk getting a nasty surprise at some upgrade.
18
19 Regards.
20 --
21 Canek Peláez Valdés