From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo system suddenly failed to boot.
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 17:54:23
1 Yesterday, my relatively new install of Gentoo failed to boot with the
2 following repeated messages:
3
4 ata5.04: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 0)
5 ata5.04: hard resetting link
6 ata5.04: failed to resume link (SStatus 0 Scontrol 0)
7
8 My first thought was that something is wrong with my old IDE (ATA)
9 drive. (The Gentoo system partition was on /dev/sda5.)
10
11 Nevertheless, I was able to boot from a flash drive with a live Gentoo
12 CD and chroot into the Gentoo system partition of my IDE drive.
13
14 So, I formatted a new SATA drive according to instructions given in
15 Gentoo AMD64 Handbook, rsynced the corresponding IDE system partition
16 into it by the following command:
17
18 rsync -qaHAXS source_dir target_dir
19
20 made the necessary changes to the corresponding fstab file, chrooted
21 into the new system SATA partition, recompiled grub and installed it
22 on the new disk.
23
24 After all that I was able to boot the Gentoo system from the new
25 partition. However, the booting process went as slow as hell, and at
26 the end Xorg server failed to start.
27
28 My next guess was that something went wrong with the last kernel I
29 used to boot. So, I tried to boot using the previous kernel.
30
31 However, this time the booting failed with almost the same messages as above:
32
33 ata5.03: failed to resume link (SStatus 0 SControl 0)
34 ata5.03: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 0)
35 ata5.03: hard resetting link
36 ata6.04: failed to resume link (SStatus 0 SControl 0)
37
38 (Now, my new Gentoo system partition is on /dev/sdb2.)
39
40 Shall I try to do something to fix it before reinstalling Gentoo anew?
41
42 For example, I thought of booting with a live Gentoo flash drive,
43 chrooting into the new system partition and recompiling @system.
44 However, if it is not some package that is corrupted, it may be a waste of time.
45 Or, maybe, @system may be narrowed to just a few packages needed at boot time?
46 Shall I try to recreate initramfs, what in my case means re-emerging
47 gentoo-kernel package?
48 What do you think?
49
50 P.S. Nevertheless, I still can successfully boot my very old legacy
51 system from another partition of my IDE drive.