From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] loop-aes + extra-ciphers...
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:58:21
1 Am Mittwoch, 25. Juni 2008 schrieb Chris Walters:
2
3 > | Rumor has it that the three-letter agencies (CIA, KGB, M.A.V.O. [2],
4 > | etc) can break those algorithms relatively easy. On the other hand even
5 > | weaker algorithms can protect your data against laptop thieves.
6 >
7 > That's more than a rumor. Another three letter agency (NSA) has networks
8 > of supercomputers that can brute force a passphrase is little time. I am
9 > majoring in mathematics, and plan to specialize in cryptology.
10
11 If it is so easy for them to crack our ciphers (and the one they use
12 themselves, btw.), why doesn't Kasperky ask them to crack the key of the
13 GPCode virus which, according to Kaspersky's assumptions, would keep 15
14 million modern PCs busy for a year.
15
16 And, if it is so easy for them, it is as easy for other governments too,
17 right? That would mean they use a cipher that's easily crackable by other
18 governments. Do you really think they do?
19
20 Bye...
21
22 Dirk