From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Reaching my network over the internet
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:35:03
1 On Sunday 16 October 2005 15:44, Jonathan Wright wrote:
2 > John Jolet wrote:
3 > >>Basically I have a network back home with a couple Gentoo systems
4 > >>connected and I'd like to have ssh (and maybe vnc) access to them from
5 > >>my Gentoo laptop no matter where I am. What do you think?
6 > >
7 > > if you just need ssh, you don't need a vpn, just a port forward on your
8 > > router. for vnc, I'd use openvpn.
9 >
10 > Why do though all the hassle of setting up a VPN when you can use SSH to
11 > provide a secure tunnel into the network and use that instead? Works
12 > fine for me.
13 >
14 > # ssh -L5900:hostname:5900 username@××××××××.tld
15 > # vncviewer localhost:0
16 Okay, now show me the instance where you want box->internet->box->vnc server.
17 If you set up openvpn on your ssh server, you easily can tunnel across it.
18 Doing that with ssh would add another tunnel. Takes 5 minutes to set up.
19 >
20 > --
21 > Jonathan Wright ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
22 > ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
23 > --
24 > 2.6.12-gentoo-r10-djnauk-b3 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Mobile CPU 1.80GHz
25 > up 2 min, 1 user, load average: 1.68, 0.87, 0.33
26 > --
27 > "People sometimes think I'm gay because I once played a gay in a
28 > movie. It's funny. Audiences don't think you're a murderer if you
29 > play a murderer, but they do think you're gay if you play a gay."
30 >
31 > ~ Perry King
34 John Jolet
35 Your On-Demand IT Department