From: Hung Dang <hungptit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] perfect IDE
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:47:53
1 Andrei Hanganu wrote:
2 > helo group,
3 >
4 > i've been trying the past 2-3 years to find the most usable and nice ide
5 > for c/c++ code writing. I've been through vim/vim + plugins/emacs +
6 > different modes/anjuta/kdevelop/codeblocks/eclipse/netbeans ... every
7 > single one of them has at least one drawback.
8 >
9 > In short words, i am looking for an ide that can do this:
10 > - syntax highlighting
11 > - autocomplete (on the fly, not on demand, and maybe smart? - identify
12 > structures/classes )
13 > - concurrent editing of multiple files (splitting)
14 > - tabs or buffer list
15 > - file browser
16 > - project manager
17 > - symbol list/browser current editing buffer
18 > - regex search/replace
19 > - flexible build options that include scons, not just makefile
20 > - code folding (with detection of blocks)
21 > - lightweight/ergonomic interface (i dislike space being occupied by the
22 > bar that displays the line numbers, with a padding of 10px for example)
23 >
24 > i don't desire gdb or valgrind integration, but would be a +
25 >
26 > does anyone know the answer to this ultimate question? I keep comparing
27 > different editors with the microsoft's visual studio, that is not by far
28 > as powerful as emacs but it just plain and simple does the job. They
29 > will reach a milestone when the brackets matching will actually work,
30 > but despite small inconveniences, i find it to be very close to what i
31 > am looking for.
32 > kdevelop also seemed very close to what i wanted, but somehow the fonts
33 > or the dpi make it very "crowded", i get very little space for the code.
34 > On the other hand netbeans is a good example of how the interface should
35 > be arranged, but java driven ide tends to stop being able to respond in
36 > tolerable time.
37 >
38 > i am on the edge of despair, and i am willing to try even a commercial
39 > solution.
40 > Anyone had some very positive experience with a specific ide?
41 >
42 > thanks,
43 > Andrei
46 I have a similar question long time ago. Finally, I found that Eclipse
47 with extension for C/C++ is a reasonable solution.
48
49 Hung