From: Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub and what happens exactly when booting.
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 01:12:19
1 In linux.gentoo.user, Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm getting this LVM thing down pat tho.
4 >
5 > cfdisk to create partitions, if not using the whole drive.
6 > pvcreate
7 > vgcreate
8 > lvcreate
9 > then put on a file system and mount.
10
11 Sounds good.
12
13 > I still get them confused as to what comes first but I got some pictures
14 > to look at now. That helps to picture what I am doing, sort of.
15
16 pv = physical volume. Physical comes first.
17
18 vg = volume group. LVM volumes MUST belong to a group.
19
20 lv = logical volume. Logical obviously comes last.
21
22 > Thanks to all for the advice tho. It's helping. Still nervous about /
23 > on LVM tho. :/
24
25 If you're nervous then don't do it. I've had my root filesystem on LVM
26 for years on a number of different machines and never had a problem.
27 I've used Genkernel's initramfs generator to create my initramfs, but
28 I've just unmasked dracut and I've begun testing it on my system. It
29 looks good so far, except that dracut mounts something on my nonexistent
30 /run directory. This caused a warning when displaying mounted
31 filesystems using "df" about /run not existing. I'm wondering whether I
32 can just add the directory or do I need to do something special such as
33 add a ".keep" file to it.
34
35 If you want to go ahead with root on LVM then leave a duplicate root
36 partition in a normal linux partition until you're satisfied, or backup
37 your root partition to another machine or disk drive. You should be
38 backing up your system anyway. My root filesystem on my laptop is only
39 161MB. Of course I've got a separate /usr and /var filesystem, which is
40 the reason for my testing of dracut. I want to be ahead of the game when
41 these forced udev changes become mandatory.
42
43 I'm not happy about the decision to make /usr necessary for udev to
44 populate /dev, but I've used an initramfs for years so it's not such a
45 wrench for as it for other gentoo users.
48 Regards,
49 Gregory.