From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slim hassle...to login or not to login
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 07:58:32
1 On Saturday 29 May 2010 17:20:48 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Dru Kargin <drukargin@×××××.com> [10-05-29 18:08]:
3 > > > Hi,
4 > > >
5 > > > while installing a new system from ground up on my new harddisc
6 > > > I came accross a silly problem:
7 > > >
8 > > > I have setup X and slim as login manager. I installed openbox
9 > > > (no kde/gnome) as session manager.
10 > > >
11 > > > Slim starts...and: The keyboard and the mouse are not responding...
12 > > >
13 > > > Same happens when I start plain X as root. Screen remains black
14 > > > and I have to use the sysreq-keys to get my box back to normal...
15 > > >
16 > > > The X-logfile shows as only Error, that the GLX-module could not be
17 > > > found.
18 > > >
19 > > > I am using nvidia-drivers and reinstalled them as adviced but the
20 > > > effect remains the same.
21 > > >
22 > > > hald is running. fonts are installed (at least the default ones).
23 > > >
24 > > > Also installed are:
25 > > > x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev Generic Linux input driver
26 > > > x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard Keyboard input driver
27 > > > x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse X.Org driver for mouse input devices
28 > > >
29 > > > eselect opengl set nvidia is done.
30 > > >
31 > > > What is missing? Why dies this not work (my old system running on
32 > > > the same hardware using the same setup in principle has no problem
33 > > > at all with X/Openbox.
34 > > >
35 > > > Why does X only half???
36 > > >
37 > > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
38 > > >
39 > > > Best regards,
40 > > > mcc
41 > >
42 > > Are your keyboard and mouse "InputDevice"s in xorg.conf configured to
43 > > use the evdev driver, and does your "ServerLayout" section contain
44 > > InputDevice lines to correctly point to those devices? I have had some
45 > > weird problems with slim, but never trouble like you describe with plain
46 > > X/twm.
47 > >
48 > > -Dru
49 >
50 > I copied the working xconf from my old system to my new one and had
51 > never modified/hacked the installation paths of those applikations.
52 > So I exspect that at least X will give me that greyish screen with
53 > an moveable X as cursor (was it that way...its lon ago that I need
54 > to call X the plain way.).
55 >
56 > Why could the GLX module not found???
57
58 Have you installed mesa?
59
60 Otherwise I suspect an nvidia issue - but I have never used nvidia to know
61 what to look for.
62
63 PS. Make sure you reboot or restart dbus/hald after you finish emerging and
64 configuring xorg and x11-drivers.
65
66 HTH.
67 --