From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hoping someone can help explain distcc to me
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 00:37:43
1 On Saturday 20 August 2011 23:56:08 Paul Hartman wrote:
2
3 > I have a fast desktop computer and a slow laptop. Both are ~amd64
4 > Gentoo. After some of the recent discussions about Gentoo on slow
5 > devices, I thought I'd dust off the laptop and try to bring it up to
6 > date.
7 >
8 > I'd like to use distcc to make the desktop do all the compiling during
9 > emerges. I've never been able to get distcc working properly, or, at
10 > least, I've never been able to get it working to the point where using
11 > distcc is any faster than not using it at all.
12
13 Your laptop isn't sending its compilation jobs to your desktop. Have you
14 used gkrellm or similar to check for network traffic?
15
16 I think I'd take a different approach, one that I dare say you can
17 anticipate. By all means take the advice you're about to be offered to get
18 distcc working, but why not create a chroot on your desktop, NFS export the
19 packages directory from the laptop to it and do the whole job there? Then
20 return to the laptop and emerge -k. It does need more keystrokes but it uses
21 far less CPU. You just need to copy /var/lib/portage/world, make.conf and
22 the /etc/portage tree to the chroot before you start.
23
24 I did once get distcc working, but as Neil has observed re Atoms, a lot of
25 work is still done before compilation is farmed out to the distcc server,
26 rather diluting the benefit of distributed compilation.
29 Rgds
30 Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23