From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] adding another "terminal"
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:13:24
1 On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:04 AM, Helmut Jarausch <
2 jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I'd like to add another terminal to my machine (there is no need for a
7 > separate full blown work station).
8 >
9 > I see two possibilities:
10 >
11 > - add another graphics card and attach a second screen, keyboard and
12 > mouse. I'd have to figure out how to tell X11 that configuration
13 >
14 > - built something like an X-terminal: a mini-pc (with a mini Gentoo
15 > system) and connect it to my "server" via ethernet to the. I'd use
16 > NXclient on that machine. I'd prefer this options since this "terminal"
17 > needn't be close to the server machine.
18 >
19 > Would anybody be so kind to share his/her experience with these options
20 > or even suggest another one?
24 I've been using a nice little D525 Atom box that uses XDMCP into my main
25 machine. That works well except that I've never cared to delve deep enough
26 into streaming the audio to the Atom. And it seems like some of the KDE
27 tools think that if you log into the machine, it's okay to assume that your
28 X session is all one common jungle of interconnections. I've seen dbus do
29 this, too.
30
31 If I use a lighter WM, it's not an issue. Mostly I use wmaker anyway on the
32 Atom but KDE standalone there works great.
33
34 One other way that I've played with on and off again for many years now is
35 with Xvnc. I have an old Axel thin client that does VNC/RDP and telnet and
36 things and it works quite well. I've just stood up wmaker in a VNC session
37 on my main box, point the Axel at it and, presto: X sessions through a
38 silent 10W tray. It's very usable at 100Mbps.
41 Bill Longman