From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 20:10:37
1 hasufell <hasufell <at> gentoo.org> writes:
5 > Already doing so https://github.com/hasufell/games-overlay
6 > and that's where I will update ebuilds, not in the tree. And I don't
7 > care to get any of that into the tree.
8
9 OK.
12 > People are scared of other gentoo-like distros/PMs. Exherbo is evil,
13 > paludis is evil, sabayoon is evil, ...
14
15 I agree, there is much resistence and calcification deep in the ranks
16 of gentoo.
19 > I've already tried contributing to exherbo. They are technically ahead
20 > of us in some non-trivial areas, but I don't think they have solved the
21 > contribution problem. Sure, they are more distributed and have gerrit
22 > etc, but their review workflow goes more the way "make a high-quality
23 > user-overlay and then we will review it once and add it to our page".
26 As a young distro, maybe that's all the man_hours they have for
27 outside packages right now?
30 > They don't care too much about themed and clearly scoped overlays and
31 > about the difference of 'modular' and 'fragmented'.
32 > 200 guys pushing into 200 repositories without _regular_ reviews (not
33 > just a "gentoo dev" or "high quality" overlay badge) is not much
34 > different to what gentoo does.
35
36 Is this (above) aimed at Exherbo or Arch?
39 > Arch is neither interesting from the technical nor from the workflow
40 > standpoint, IMO.
41
42 It has been around for a while.
46 OK so keep in mind if you are successful at what you set up (your overlay
47 ++) with gentoo, I'd be interested to know the details and maybe I'll move
48 my codes to a similar structure; mostly java and science/math codes....
49
50 Drop me private email, or keep me informed whatever your chosen information
51 dispersement is (a blog? etc) as your code development mechanisms evolve.
54 sincerely,
55 James