From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Running two apaches and MySQLs on the same server
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 19:34:24
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 28 May 2009 20:57:08 Mick wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I am considering running an ecommerce website (php+mysql) on a server which
5 >> is already running apache (with a number of virtual hosts) and a couple of
6 >> php+mysql driven websites.
7 >>
8 >> The ecommerce website is meant to be used to process customer payments. I
9 >> have not looked into setting up something like this before and I am not
10 >> sure where to start. Should I be thinking of chroot jails, multiple
11 >> apache/mysql installations, or what else is recommended? How do you do it
12 >> in your implementations?
13 >
14 > A chroot jail is of no real use to you here - it's a development tool and
15 > amazingly useful for gentoo installs, but has no real security or process
16 > separation benefits. So says Alan - not me, a different one.
17 >
18 > Your problem will be that only one apache instance can run on port 80.
19 > Your options:
20 > 1. Run the ecommerce apache on a different port.
21 > 2. Install a second NIC with a different IP and bind each apache to port 80 on
22 > it's own nic.
23 > 3. If you use separate mysqls, run them on different ports.
24 >
25 > However, it's an e-commerce site so one must state the obvious:
26 >
27 > You must be out of your mind running an ecommerce site on the same machine as
28 > other php vhosts. Please give me the URL so I know never to buy there - I have
29 > no way of knowing what those vhosts are, who the webmaster is and how secure
30 > they are.
31 >
32 > So I recommend option 4:
33 > Pony up the money for server #2
34
35 Ad.2: he can assign 2 IPs to single NIC. No need to buy the second NIC.
36
37 BTW, I was in a similar situation: one user wanted to use notoriously
38 buggy phpBB, but I did not want to risk compromising my other web-pages.
39
40 So I have opted for #5: vserver-sources, and I have multiple instances
41 of apache running in pretty good isolated vserver-guests.
42 My ¤0.0144 ...
43
44 Jarry
48 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
49 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.