From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: another old box to update
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 17:53:01
1 Am 07.01.2015 um 17:38 schrieb James:
2 > Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
5 >> I am in the process of upgrading an old (~2010) gentoo server.
6 >> The customer never wanted updates ... and now he wants ... *sigh*
7 >> Thanks for any pointers!
8 >> best, Stefan
11 > If the server is 5 years old (or more) surely there is an additional system
12 > available to build up new and fresh as the server they need. That way
13 > you keep the existing system online and their current work continuing until
14 > cut over time. Pretty much standard procedure. And if you run into
15 > any issues, you can look at the old, existing setup and then make decisions
16 > on what to do on the new server.
17 >
18 > Just a thought, but most companies have spare machines available, just
19 > inquire; particularly if this one is 5+ years old, maybe newer hardware
20 > is a (very) good idea?
21
22 In short: yes.
23
24 Not so short: I am only a subcontractor (right term?) there so the first
25 level consulting and discussing is done by a friend and colleague.
26
27 And they don't have the best "atmosphere" in the last months ...
28
29 For sure I suggested new hardware already and also noted that a fresh
30 reinstallation would have been better than the upgrade.
31
32 Tomorrow afternoon we test a reboot. We have Fujitsu IRMC in the box to
33 be able to fiddle with grub-entries if needed ... and just in case the
34 other guy is about 200m next to the physical server then.
35
36 If it continues to make problems there is still Plan B with a fresh and
37 shiny 64-bit image ... (I have those in containers and VMs ...)
40 Thanks to all of you so far, Stefan