From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rooted/compromised Gentoo, seeking advice
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 23:07:44
1 On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 09 August 2010 17:25:56 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> My user account has sudo-without-password rights to any command.
4 >
5 > Ouch!
8 Having still not physically touched the machine yet, I don't know if
9 sudo had anything to do with it at all at this point. But I'll assume
10 for a moment that its use was perhaps involved...
11
12 > There have been discussions on this list why sudo is a bad idea and sudo on
13 > *any* command is an even worse idea. You might as well be running everything
14 > as root, right?
15
16 Essentially. I did not think it through from an internally-defensive
17 standpoint. I only thought of sudo as "I am deciding whether to run
18 this command as user or as root". Assuming *I* would be the only one
19 running a program on my computer. My thinking was clearly flawed
20 there... The idea of an attacker being in my system didn't really
21 enter my mind. Or an untrusted program shelling out and running "sudo
22 some-bad-stuff" without my knowing. Every sudo command is logged,
23 sure, but as Bill pointed out that only works for as long as it takes
24 someone to sudo himself into a root shell (or delete the logs). I
25 don't really audit the sudo logs regularly because of the stupid
26 assumption that I was the only one running any sudo commands.
27
28 > You have decided wisely to reinstall because you can't be sure of this OS
29 > anymore.
30
31 I'm most concerned about learning how this happened because I don't
32 want to reinstall everything only to be compromised again, and with
33 the hope that perhaps any info I find can help others avoid finding
34 themselves in this same situation. If I'm only going to re-create the
35 exact same set-up, I don't know if I can be sure of it then even after
36 reinstalling...
37
38 > Please keep us updated on what you find from the forensic analysis.
39
40 Sudo was one of the first things that popped into my head. sshd is
41 really the only service open to the outside. Some other ports are open
42 for specific apps, like bittorrent traffic, which is what I was
43 monitoring when I noticed the suspicious activity -- and I was
44 downloading a Linux ISO, I swear. My original plans for tonight were
45 to install Sabayon on an old laptop that is becoming unmanageable from
46 a Gentoo standpoint due to infrequent use and days-long update
47 sessions. I'll put that little project on hold for now...
48
49 My sshd setup is pubkey only, no root logins, and I use denyhosts to
50 block after 3 failed logins, and it syncs its blocklist from the
51 denyhosts master server many times a day. I use NX Server, but not
52 with the default key, and I don't think there have been any (publicly
53 disclosed) remotely-exploitable opensshd vulnerabilities that would
54 allow an attacker direct entry into a system. I haven't noticed
55 anything out of place on my system, no unusual files or missing items.
56 I take infrequent peeks at my ssh logs, w/who/last and network traffic
57 (as I did today when I discovered it), but I am not religious about
58 reading every log. Life has been quite busy lately and I haven't had
59 as much time to dedicate to that sort of stuff. I has been more like
60 log on, check my email, pay my bills, log off.
61
62 So, from that outside-entry standpoint I was certainly lulled into a
63 false sense of security about my system. My root account has a very
64 long and complicated password, and my user account was surely
65 "impenetrable" since I was using pubkey-only SSH logins, right... I
66 have encrypted partitions, but they are mounted when the system is up
67 and running, so they are really pointless against an "online"
68 attack...
69
70 Typing that long password into sudo every time I ran a command was a
71 hassle, and clearly I thought myself too intelligent to ever run a
72 malicious piece of code on my own computer. I mean, that's the kind of
73 thing I would never do. I'm careful. I usually look at things before I
74 run them, scan them with clamscan (not that I run outside
75 scripts/binaries very often at all). Right? And what if a
76 seemingly-safe program decided to download and run malware on its own?
77 What if there was a vulnerability that was exploited before it was
78 discovered & patched by the community (and my Gentoo update cycle)?
79 What if there was a rogue Firefox add-on stealing passwords or running
80 shell scripts? That would probably never happen, surely someone else
81 would have noticed it and put a stop to it before it got to me, or I
82 would have read a warning about it in the tech news someplace. Yeah,
83 I'm being a bit sarcastic here. ;)
84
85 I do hope I can find some evidence that leads me to the point of
86 entry. It would set my mind at ease.