From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT. Building a rig. Want to get opinions before spending $$$
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 19:48:53
1 Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, I finally found out the fan needs a max of 4 watts, about .16
4 > amps. I can't find it in the mobo manual but will look some more. I
5 > don't see it on the website either. I just lucked up on the fan
6 > info. I found it on the case website where you can buy replacement fans.
7 >
8 > I found some specs on 120mm fans. Some of them draw as much as .24
9 > amps. The CPU fan is 120mm to and it is supposed to be plugged into
10 > the mobo according to the manufacturer of it.
11 >
12 > I would think this is safe based on the above info but would love a
13 > couple other opinions on this. Also, what would get hot if it is
14 > pulling to much? I got one of those temp sensor thingys that is
15 > infrared that I could check it with. I could also give it the finger
16 > test. ;-)
17 >
18 > Thanks.
19 >
20 > Dale
21 >
22 > :-) :-)
25 OK. I been giving the google server a workout. Changing search terms
26 and looking everywhere I could. I finally found this post on a forums.
27 He claims this is what Gigabyte sent him.
28
29 "I've just heard from Gigabyte support on this topic - the max is 3 amps
30 at 12 volts. This is confirmed by other information I've found."
31
32 http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/34292-gigabyte-ga-ex58-ud4p-cpu-fan-header.html#post318935
33
34 So, if that is true, I should be able to plug in some pretty good size
35 fans that blow air at hurricane speeds.
36
37 Wish me luck when the fans start up.
38
39 Dale