From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel panics and more info
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:08:35
1 On Thursday 21 July 2011 10:53:25 Dale wrote:
2 > Joost Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 21 July 2011 05:54:32 Dale wrote:
4 > >> I been working on gathering information for this for a while. I just
5 > >> tried something else. I use the download helper plugin in Firefox to
6 > >> download videos. Also, it crashes when I am downloading videos but
7 > >> that
8 > >> is about all I use Firefox for. I had a light bulb moment and decided
9 > >> to see if the same plugin was available for Seamonkey. It was
10 > >> available
11 > >> so I installed it. It works the same as in Firefox. So, I closed as
12 > >> much stuff as I could and started downloading a couple good size
13 > >> videos. After a few minutes, you guessed it, kernel panic followed by
14 > >> a
15 > >> reboot. To make sure it was not a fluke or something, I repeated the
16 > >> process and got the same result.
17 > >
18 > > Dale,
19 > >
20 > > I would suspect the download-helper-plugin as that is common in both the
21 > > Firefox and Seamonkey crashes.
22 > > Can you provide a link to the plugin you use to allow others to test
23 > > this to see if it works for them?
24 >
25 > I'm not sure you are right but it is possible. Here is a linky:
26 >
27 > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/seamonkey/addon/video-downloadhelper/
28
29 Looks nice, actually. Even calls "ffmpeg" to convert the videos to different
30 formats.
31 Will try it this week and will see if it causes issues for me.
32
33 > It's pretty straight forward. I can get a failure by going to youtube
34 > and starting the download of two or three fairly long movies. I usually
35 > middle click and open the video in a new tab. Then start the download
36 > and close the tab. I usually walk off or watch TV while it downloads.
37 > I have the slow DSL here so it takes a bit to download but it usually
38 > crashes in a minute or two. Firefox crashes faster but Seamonkey only
39 > takes a couple minutes or something.
40
41 In a new tab, that could be part of it. Do you also get it if you use a single
42 tab? Eg. open video, start download, then wait?
43
44 > If anyone tests this, let me know if it messes up. I'm on amd64
45 > multilib too. That may have some effect.
46
47 Same here, so should be an interesting test.
48 I also use the nvidia-drivers and KDE4, so we're pretty close with the
49 installed/used software.
52 Joost