From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:59:25
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 06/22/2011 06:35 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> I suppose you got the idea by now ;-) Do you need dev-lang/R? If not,
6 >>> then "emerge -pv --depclean dev-lang/R". Do you need the package(s)
7 >>> that this brings up? If not, continue --depclean those until you reach
8 >>> something that has no other dependencies; meaning you reached the top
9 >>> level. Do you need *that*? If not, unmerge it, then depclean
10 >>> everything (just "emerge -a --depclean".)
11 >>>
12 >>> This should get rid of all stuff you don't actually need/want.
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> Well, that leads back to KDE. So, looks like it stays.
17 >
18 > And KDE wants Fortran because you have that USE flag enabled in
19 > make.conf :-D
23 Actually, I didn't have it in there until the update this thread
24 references back too. It was there by default but it was removed by a
25 dev and portage puked. So, maybe I need to do -fortran and see what
26 happens.
29 >>>> Well, it appeared to only affect gcc here. We all know I have to have
30 >>>> that.
31 >>>
32 >>> GCC is a compiler collection. You usually only need gcc and g++.
33 >>> Fortan, Objective-C, Objective-C++, ADA, Pascal, Java, whatever else
34 >>> is usually something you don't install unless you know you need it.
35 >>
36 >> But gcc is the one that got rebuilt when I changed the USE flag. So, it
37 >> needs it because the other package needs it and in the end, KDE needs
38 >> all that stuff. So, the flag is added and I guess it is needed by
39 >> something I want to keep. Sort of like my GUI and all. ;-)
40 >
41 > I'm on KDE too, and it doesn't need it. Probably because my make.conf
42 > explicitly says "-fortran" in it.
45 Mine never had fortran in it at all. I still don't really know what
46 fortran is.
47
48 Dale
49