From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 04:14:33
1 On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 01:00:06AM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
2 > Am 30.09.2013 00:06, schrieb Walter Dnes:
3 >
4 > > * Everybody's single-NIC machine came up with eth0 for AGES, until Kay
5 > > Seivers broke udev. And calling the new setup "predictable" is
6 > > George Orwell 1984 doublespeak. Let's see you walk up to an unknown
7 > > machine and "predict" what the NIC is going to come up as.
8 > and you could predict with the old setup?
9 > If think these new names are as stupid as it gets, but I had enough pain
10 > in the past with multi-nic boxes shuffling eth0, eth1, ethn+1...
11 > randomly on reboots. That was fun.
12
13 If the udev people had made "net ifnames=0" the default, and allowed
14 the small percentage of multi-nic machine admins to set "net.ifnames=1",
15 this would not have been an issue. Some corner case exotic setups
16 require complex solutions... no ifs/ands/ors/buts. All the complaining
17 you hear is from the other 99% who's setup worked just fine with the
18 simple solution, suddenly finding the complex solution rammed down their
19 throats.
20
21 > > * Separate /usr worked fine for AGES, until... Do you see a pattern
22 > > developing here?
23 > >
24 > seperate /usr has stopped working fine AGES AGO. Just some setups were
25 > lucky enough not to stumble over the wreckage and fall into the shards.
26
27 I.e. the 99% who don't need initramfs before today. Some corner case
28 exotic setups require complex solutions... no ifs/ands/ors/buts. All
29 the complaining you hear is from the other 99% who's setup worked just
30 fine with the simple solution, suddenly finding the complex solution
31 rammed down their throats.
34 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
35 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications