From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:34:48
1 On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > The times I've tried to get a recent gentoo version running in a vm on
3 > windows turned out to be labor taking days to get right.
4 >
5 > Does anyone know if there is a fairly current gentoo appliance
6 > somewhere that I can just install and then update or customize?
7 >
8 > I'd prefer to run it with vbox but if the appliance is vmware created
9 > that's ok too.  I do have a license up to 6.5.
10 >
11 > If that isn't available maybe someone has a fairly current kernel
12 > config that is known to boot on a windows host with guest gentoo.
13 >
14 > As I recall from my efforts, there were always problems with something
15 > to do with scuzzi drivers or whatnot.
16
17 Hi Harry,
18 I have an up-to-date Gentoo 64-bit/KDE Virtualbox VM but I haven't
19 tested it on a Windows host. I suppose could try that given some time.
20
21 I'd have no problem donating a copy if people wanted it and there
22 was some public place that we could put it. I don't want to run a
23 server here to do that though. It looks like it would be around 5GB if
24 I cleaned out /usr/portage/distfiles.
25
26 - Mark