From: Jason W Elliot <jelliot@×××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /usr is full
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 23:51:37
1 The only problem with this approach is that I don't have enough space to
2 download http-replicator. I'll try this as soon as I get things somewhat
3 cleaned-up. Thanks for the advice!
4
5 -Jason
6
7 On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Dale wrote:
8
9 > Jason W Elliot wrote:
10 >
11 >> Hi,
12 >>
13 >> While trying to run emerge today I got the message that there was
14 >> not enough disk space. I ran df and noticed that /usr is 100% full.
15 >> I am wonderring whether there is an easy way to clean it up. I'd
16 >> rather not resize my partitions, and it's likely that there's a lot of
17 >> junk in there that I don't need. Is it safe to remove the stuff in
18 >> /usr/portage/distfiles?
19 >>
20 >> Thanks!
24 > I can tell you how I cleaned my distfiles out. I installed
25 > http-replicator and let it clean them out. It knows what source files
26 > are no longer going to be used, to old and not in portage any more, and
27 > then you can delete the old ones. It will list them too.
28 >
29 > If you do this, don't forget to put the proxy line in make.conf and
30 > point it back to itself. Basically it moves everything to cache then
31 > you can delete the rest in distfile. If you do a emerge, it just puts
32 > them back. Sounds strange but it worked well for me. I also use it for
33 > three servers connected here on a LAN. It was a fringe benefit I guess.
34 >
35 > Dale
36 > :-)
37 >
38 > --
39 > To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
40 >
41 > I have four rigs:
42 >
43 > 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives. Named Smoker
44 > 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive. Named Swifty
45 > 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 224MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive. Named Pokey
46 > 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive. Named Putput
47 >
48 > All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
49 >
50 > --
51 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
55 Jason