From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where is libnetsnmp-devel? (needed for hplip)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 02:01:40
1 On Thursday 21 June 2007 19:40:23 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > Which package contains libnetsnmp-devel?
3
4 $eix -c snmp
5 [...]
6 [I] net-analyzer/net-snmp (5.4@11/28/2006): Software for generating and
7 retrieving SNMP data
8 [...]
9
10 Probably that one, but that's just a guess.
11
12 Gentoo doesn't separate packages into -devel versions -- you get all the
13 development stuff as part of the base package (since it's usually required to
14 compile, as Gentoo does, pacakges that depend on it).
15
16 There isn't a "libnetsnmp" package in gentoo, nor a "netsnmp" package in any
17 of the *-libs categories. Naming something "netsnmp" seems a bit redundant
18 to me anyway, I'm fairly sure the "N" of "sNmp" stands for "network", so I
19 just searched for snmp. 14 hits. 1 is in a *-libs category, but the short
20 description says it's specifically for KDE, not what you are looking for I
21 think. 1 (other) has "lib" in the name of the package, but it's specifically
22 for ruby, again, I was fairly sure that wasn't what you were looking for.
23 Also, other distros generally but ruby in the package name of ruby libraries.
24 Down to 12 packages.
25
26 I threw out packages in dev-perl and perl-python, again, because of other
27 distros naming practices. 1 package was in sec-policy which is definitely
28 not the place for a lib. 1 package was a plugin for something else, so I
29 decided that was also probably not what you want. Down to 4 packages.
30
31 At that point, I decided the most likely package was net-snmp because of the
32 name. bsnmp says it's a library (whereas net-snmp doesn't) so that would
33 probably be a good second choice. snmpmon (a "tool") and snmptt could also
34 ship that library, but that's probably a stretch.
37 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
38 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
39 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
40 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/