From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 16:00:49
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 01:48 on Friday 03 June 2011, Stroller did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On 2 Jun 2011, at 15:48, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > What exactly is your problem with me?
6 >
7 > You really have to ask?
8 >
9 > > If you think I'm a juvenile wanker, a jerk or someone in possession of a
10 > > miniscule penis, then come right out and say so. Get it out in the open
11 > > so it can go away and we can move on.
12 >
13 > Arrogant asshole is the term I would use to describe you.
14 >
15 > You're right 99% of the time, but that's not much help (IMO) if you're
16 > pissing people off when being so.
17 >
18 > On the (admittedly rare) occasions on which you're factually wrong, you
19 > don't admit it, fess up and take it on the head. You were factually wrong
20 > once or twice a while back and I thought about pulling you up on it, but I
21 > thought "new, it ain't worth the effort, he won't accept it". On one of
22 > those occasions I wouldn't have been surprised if you discouraged the OP
23 > (who was a newcomer or an irregular poster here) from coming back here for
24 > help.
25
26 I can't remember a specific time that happened, but if it did then so be it.
27
28 > When it comes to matters of opinion, in which there is room for debate and
29 > disagreement, you're still aggressive in your assertions. It *is* a matter
30 > of opinion, yet you always claim to be "right". I wouldn't blame Indi or
31 > anyone for being offended by the way you write. You come across as totally
32 > self-righteous.
33
34 Yes, this is true for the most part. It's how I am and I'm aware of it.
35
36 > I thought you were aware of this. You frequently boast about what a
37 > hard-man, wizened old Unix guru you are, and how "my bosses put up with my
38 > shit because I'm the best" &c &c. I would never work with you, and I would
39 > take satisfaction in the opportunity to snub you.
40
41 That part is mostly tongue-in cheek, I had thought it was self-evident.
42
43 > Of course it is better to be right than to be wrong, but if you can express
44 > yourself in a humble manner then it sets you up safe for when you do fall
45 > over, something which happens to everybody.
48 I'm not afraid of admitting fault in myself - I did so just two days ago with
49 Dale. Not to pick out Dale for any special reason, it's just the most recent
50 example.
51
52 > I honestly didn't think you cared what most people think of you, although
53 > you do act very matey with one or two of your favorite buddies sometimes,
54 > like this list is a boys club that you share them.
55 >
56 > Only saying since you asked - I've held my tongue for a long time.
57
58 Well, thank you for speaking your mind. Very few people do that.
59
60 Is the issue now dealt with so we can move on?
63 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com