From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:46:55
1 On 25 June 2011, at 14:58, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday 25 June 2011 13:46:35 justin wrote:
3 > ...
4 >> Trying to avoid any fortran at all is stupid,
5 >
6 > That's the sort of arrogance that gets developers a bad name.
7 >
8 >> as already mentioned many math operations are faster if programmed in
9 >> fortran.
10 >
11 > Whether "many" operations are written in Fortran is immaterial. What matters
12 > to me is whether any on my system are. If they aren't, I don't need a
13 > Fortran compiler and I'd rather not waste system resources on building one.
14
15 Please don't bitch out the devs - we have few enough of them as it is.
16
17 I have a number of bugs open (on b.g.o), one or two of which have not moved in months. The others are newer, and I assume they're are not going to get fixed much faster, and I assume the reason is that there just aren't the developer resources available. I mean, I could assume that the devs just hate me, but that seems a pessimistic attitude. I'm pretty sure they're not breaking things out of spite.
18
19 None of my bugs are fixed as easily as recompiling a couple of packages - I don't whine about trivial stuff like that - they all require manual intervention and that I modify ebuilds myself and keep them in local. I sunk several hours into this this weekend.
20
21 I would be glad to bitch out the devs and say "why aren't you doing it this way?", "why isn't this fixed yet?" but I don't feel I have any right to. I'm reserving bitching out the devs until I can afford to pay them money on a regular basis. What's your entitlement?
22
23 Stroller.