From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The sudden disappearance of ....WHAT??? (I/O error on a SD flash card?!)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 09:58:01
1 On Sunday 26 Mar 2017 20:37:08 Adam Carter wrote:
2 > I did that already.
3 >
4 > > Gives me a lot of files with unrelated names.
5 > > Think of your GENTOO box with all names renamed
6 > > to something like
7 > >
8 > > [index number].[filetype]
9 > >
10 > > . So you got back your data but cannot use
11 > > it, since the names got lost.
12 > >
13 > > For images this is not a big deal...display them
14 > > and you know probably how to rename them back
15 > > to something useful.
16 > >
17 > > But what file is (for example)
18 > >
19 > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4083 2011-11-22 03:46 file002873.bin
20 >
21 > Does file file002873.bin provide any help?
22 >
23 > And yes, its a real pain to loose the filenames!
24
25 Some years ago I had to revive a removable drive that someone had repeatedly
26 snatched out of the machine without unmounting it first. I tried photorec
27 and pals and had the same impenetrable maze of unhelpful file names as
28 Adam's. I know it's not much help, but I eventually found another utility
29 that just swept through and put everything back together again, humpty-
30 dumpty fashion. I wish I could remember what the utility was. Sorry. But it
31 is out there somewhere in Google-land.
34 Regards
35 Peter