From: Thomas Tuttle <gentoo@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I know which package needs to upgrade without using emerge --sync?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:59:17
1 On April 16 at 06:46 EDT, Alan McKinnon hastily scribbled:
2 > On Friday 13 April 2007, Ryan Sims wrote:
3 > > On 4/13/07, anhnmncb@×××××.com <anhnmncb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > hello,
5 > > > I heard of that using emerge --sync frequently may hert my
6 > > > hard-disk.
7 >
8 > Uninformed idiots who tell you total garbage like that ought to be shot.
9 > No, they ought to be hung, drawn, quartered and their corpses hung out
10 > on a stick to be picked clean by crows.
11
12 I apologize for butting in, but this is actually possible if you are
13 using a Flash memory medium, such as a CompactFlash card or a USB pen
14 drive, for the filesystem containing Portage. It is true, as you said,
15 that syncing often will cause no harm to a "normal" hard disk.
16
17 > Seriously, I spend half my days on support debunking just this kind of
18 > twaddle.
19
20 ...and scaring off users who passed it (probably just because they
21 misunderstood or misinterpreted something) by replying like this.
22
23 Please, be nice.
24
25 --Thomas Tuttle