From: Manuel McLure <manuel@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and LABELS in fstab
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 06:27:58
1 On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > OK.  I jumped into LVM.  I took my spare drive, put it to use with LVM.
3 >  Then copied data from my super large drive to it and backed up some to DVDs
4 > that wouldn't fit.  Then I put the big drive on LVM and put the stuff back.
5 >  Now comes the problem.  I use LABELS in fstab and would like to continue
6 > that.  I can't figure out how to get the LABEL set for the LVM file system
7 > tho.  This is my info:
10 ...
11
12 > root@fireball / # lvdisplay
13 >  --- Logical volume ---
14 >  LV Name                /dev/data/data1
15 >  VG Name                data
16 >  LV UUID                ZvsgH6-PI0M-NqVd-op9P-Crsy-IEnz-iKoTfp
17 >  LV Write Access        read/write
18 >  LV Status              available
19 >  # open                 1
20 >  LV Size                931.00 GiB
21 >  Current LE             238336
22 >  Segments               2
23 >  Allocation             inherit
24 >  Read ahead sectors     auto
25 >  - currently set to     256
26 >  Block device           254:0
27 >
28 > root@fireball / #
31 > I tried e2label since it has ext4 for the file system.  It didn't work and I
32 > don't know for sure what to point it to for the device.  I can't point to
33 > the drive itself since there are now two in the setup.
34 >
35 > What am I missing here?  It's simple I'm sure but I'm missing it.
36
37 You should be able to use e2label (or "tune2fs -L" as I do) on the
38 /dev/data/data1 device to set the filesystem label. That's the logical
39 volume that the operating system needs to mount.
40
41 # tune2fs -L mylabel /dev/data/data1
42
43 should do what you need.
44
45 I haven't done this with ext4, but I have used LVM with ext2, ext3 and
46 labels in this fashion.
47 --
48 Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@××××××.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
49 ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
50 no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft