From: Floyd Anderson <f.a@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NeoMutt and GnuPG
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 04:17:58
1 Hi Roger,
2
3 On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 15:01:39 +1300
4 "Roger J. H. Welsh" <rjhwelsh@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >Hi Lucas,
6 >
7 >> Here is my muttrc on github:
8 >> https://github.com/lramage94/dotfiles/blob/master/.mutt/muttrc
9 >It looks like you are using gpgme, I personally have not set this up for
10 >my neomutt, instead I use a gpg.rc file from the samples provided.
11 >
12 >For example;
13 >bzcat /usr/share/doc/neomutt-*/samples/gpg.rc.bz2 > ~/.mutt/gpg.rc
14 >echo "source ~/.mutt/gpg.rc" >> ~/.mutt/muttrc
15
16 I would not do that. The topic itself is complex enough and sourcing of
17 14 ! long and cryptic command lines doesn’t make it better. Also note
18 that gpg.rc defines the deprecated ‘pgp_clearsign_command’ variable.
19
20 BTW. as we‘re talking about NeoMutt here, I use:
21
22 ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-${HOME}/.}${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:+/}neomutt/neomuttrc
23
24 so I can run a parallel Mutt installation when things get broken.
25
26 Instead I suggest to set ‘gpgme’ USE-flag and *only that* – no ‘crypt’,
27 ‘gpg’, ‘pgp_classic’, ‘smime’, ‘smime_classic’. Look at the ebuild and
28 especially the comments. This way I only need to set one ! variable to
29 get the stuff working:
30
31 set crypt_use_gpgme = yes
34 To be sure you may also set:
35
36 # ensure deprecated options are disabled or disarmed
37 set pgp_autoinline = no
38 set pgp_clearsign_command = ''
39 set pgp_mime_auto = ask-yes
40 set pgp_replyinline = no
43 And if one like:
44
45 # semi-automated encrypted reply to encrypted messages
46 # Notes:
47 # - this can always be disabled by PGP-menu ('p')
48 # - crypt_autoencrypt or crypt_replyencrypt (if set) disables crypt_opportunistic_encrypt
49 set crypt_opportunistic_encrypt = yes
50 set crypt_autoencrypt = no
51 set crypt_replyencrypt = no
52
53 # whether or not display unusable (revoked, expired, disabled) keys
54 set pgp_show_unusable = yes
55 set crypt_timestamp = no
58 With more than one mail address I suggest:
59 send2-hook . 'set pgp_sign_as = ""'
60 send2-hook '~f "1st@example\.net$"' 'set pgp_sign_as = "0x0123456789ABCDEF0123456789ABCDEF01234567"'
61 send2-hook '~f "2nd@example\.net$"' 'set pgp_sign_as = "0xABCDEF0123456789ABCDEF0123456789ABCDEF01"'
64 >On my neomutt, when I press "v" to view attachments, all I can
65 >see is text/plain. I think my neomutt does something automatic to
66 >decrypt the messages.
69 Indeed, viewing attachments encrypted would break many functions
70 otherwise, e.g. piping, printing, saving.
71
72 >My source docs I used when setting my gpg up with mutt were:
73 >https://gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/wikis/MuttGuide/UseGPG
74 >http://codesorcery.net/old/mutt/mutt-gnupg-howto
77 In the meantime NeoMutt != Mutt, so not to forget to mention
78 <https://www.neomutt.org/guide/>. ;-)
82 Regards,
83 floyd